Monday, April 27, 2009

***Recipe of the Day: Channa Masala***

Hey Guys, I love cooking Indian food. Generally, I feel Indian food is pretty healthy, if the amount of oil can be controlled! I've been craving one of my favorite Indian dishes, which is called Channa Masala. This is basically Chickpeas simmered in a spicy and tangy sauce, and is generally eaten with naan (flatbread made out of white flour) or roti (unleavened flatbread, usually made out of wheat flour). This is also a dish that tastes better as you let it the flavors marinate with each other. So, if you make it for dinner tonight, the leftovers are even more awesome!!! Now, I think Channa Masala is one of the healthiest Indian dishes you can have, and probably one of the most easiest dishes to make! One serving of Chickpeas has only 100 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 7 grams of fiber people!!! What's even better is, most of the spices and vegetables used to make this dish are 0 WW pts. and if you make it on your own, you can definitely control the oil! Here is my wonderful recipe for Channa Masala. If you notice, I also add frozen Spinach, which is not typical with Channa Masala, but this adds volume and tastes great! I hope you guys try this recipe! Note: This recipe serves 4 people, so the WW pts. are per serving Ingredients: One 1LB. 13oz. can of Chickpeas, drained: 2 WW pts. One medium Tomato, diced: 0 WW pts. One medium Onion thinly sliced: 0 WW pts. Two tablespoons of Cumin seeds: 0 WW pts. Three tablespoons of Lemon Juice: 0 WW pts. Salt to taste: 0 WW pts. One tablespoon of Canola Oil: 1 WW pt. One tablespoon of Garam Masala (you can find this in the International aisle of your supermarket): 0 WW pts. Two tablespoons of Tomato Puree: 1 WW pt. Two dried Chillies: 0 WW pts. Chili powder, as needed: 0 WW pts. 1/2 tablespoon of Turmeric: 0 WW pts. Two teaspoons of Coriander Powder: 0 WW pts. Two cloves of Garlic, chopped: 0 WW pts. 1/2 inch of Ginger, chopped: 0 WW pts. 1/2 cup of fresh chopped Cilantro: 0 WW pts. One cup of frozen Spinach: 0 WW pts. 1. Add the Oil to a hot saucepan 2. Saute the Onions on medium heat, until translucent 3. Add the Cumin seeds and saute for another five minutes 4. Add the Garlic and Ginger and saute for another minute 5. Add the Salt, dry Chillies, Turmeric, Coriander powder and saute for 3-5 minutes 6. Add the diced Tomatoes and saute for another minute 7. Add the Tomato Puree and Lemon Juice 8. Stir in the Chickpeas 9. Add the Spinach 10. Add enough water to just cover the Chickpeas 11. Allow this to come to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow sauce to thicken 12. Once sauce has thickened to desired consistency, stir in the cilantro, then take off of heat. Allow this to slightly cool. Serve with freshly sliced onions on top. Eat with warm/toasted whole wheat pita. Guys, you get a huge portion for 4 WW pts. This is awesome for dinner or lunch!!

Enjoy!!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Kanwal. I love Channa Masala as well. I try to put a little bit of nonfat plain yogurt to make it creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could u substitute the PAM cooking spray for the oil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kanwal! This sounds divine! I developed a love of Indian food partly from your recipes in Sapna....I can't wait to make this. Thank you for sharing! Is it real spicy and hot? Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I have a question. How much fat/WW points are in those little wraps that are deep fried and filled with potato, onion, peas, and spices? I can't remember what they are called, LOL sorry! But I buy them at my Indian grocery and I LOVE them... or do you have a low fat/healthier version we can try? Thank you, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol,

    The Channa Masala recipe here is a bit spicy, but use more/less pepper and garam masala.

    Also, I believe you are talking about Samosa's and yes, I do have a healthier version which I will post up tomorrow. I believe the regular Samosa's are 4 pts. each.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kanwal, Yep they are samosas! I LOVE them! I am addicted to them but I feel like they are not so healthy for me. I look forward to making your version!! Thank you, I appreciate it very much. Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete