Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recipe Alert: My Version of Curd Rice

Hi Guys,

So, I feel I may be a little out of my league on this recipe, but this was adapted from the South Indian dish, Curd Rice. Now, I looked at many recipes online and found many different ways to make this, and I have to say, mine is a bit different, but hopefully provides the same flavor. So, all you hard core curd rice eating people out there, don't kill me for this adaptation :-)

Of course, I applied the Cinch! puzzle method for this recipe. I have to say, this recipe does not LOOK appetizing, but it tasted fantastic!

Here are the deets:

Ingredients:
1/2c of cooked brown rice
1TB of canola oil
1tsp. of mustard seeds
1tsp. of cumin seeds
1 dry red chili
1tsp. of turmeric
1c. of frozen/fresh spinach
1/2c. of shredded cabbage
1/2c. of non fat greek yogurt

Preparation:
Add the oil in a sauce pan, place on medium heat.  Once hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chili and turmeric.  Allow this to cook for about a minute.  Stir in the brown rice.  Stir in the spinach and cabbage.  Allow to cook for a couple of minutes.  Stir in the yogurt.  Enjoy this dish hot!

Servings:  1

Here's how I incorporated The Cinch!.

Whole Grain:  brown rice
Lean Protein:  yogurt
Plant Fat:  canola oil
Produce:  spinach, cabbage
Sass: cumin, turmeric, chili

7 comments:

  1. its sooo yummy....im gonna try this,one of this days..

    www.allthingsthatmatterstome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! i have to say it was quite tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kanwal, How do you cook the brown rice? Pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dimple,

    I make the brown rice in a pot. Usually, Ill take one cup dry brown rice and one cup of water. let this come to a boil. then I cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Once cooked and cooled, i portion out to 1/2c servings. YOu can even freeze the portions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really good .. I'll have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting...which brand of Brown rice do you use? I got one 1 kg bag from a local store (not branded) and found it really really chewy...it only tastes ok if cooked with loads of vegetables and spices..otherwise its very bland and chewy..maybe the rice isn't of good quality or maybe my palate need to improve ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alka, I'll find out the brand and let you know. If your brown rice is chewy, add more water and let it cook longer. This should fix the issue.

    ReplyDelete