Monday, April 11, 2011

Recipe Alert: Peanut Butter and Banana Pudding w/ Chocolate Chips

Good Morning All,

I thought I'd start this morning off on a bit of a sweet note and post my recipe for Peanut Butter and Banana Pudding w/Chocolate Chips.  So, I've been doing a lot of experimenting with agar agar, which is a sea based gelling agent.  Most gelatin found in common foods such as Jello, are animal based.  As I go more and more into the world of a vegetarian, I've started to find replacements for even the little things.

Here is a pic of the agar agar I used:
Per the instructions I used 1TB of agar agar and put this in really hot water.  Then I let it sit for 10-15 minutes, until it was completely dissolved.  While this was dissolving, I gathered the rest of my ingredients:

1 ripe banana
2TB. of peanut butter
1/4 of a block of silken tofu

I then worked on the prep, which could not have been easier:
Place all ingredients in a blender (I used my Magic Bullet) and blend away till creamy.  Place this in a bowl.

Once the agar agar dissolved, I poured this into the bowl as well and stirred it in.  This gradually thickened and I topped with mini chocolate chips!

This pudding was very delicious.  The only thing I would change is maybe try to find another natural thickener.  Agar agar is great but does take a while to dissolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment