Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Healthy Foods To Take On A Trip

This afternoon I will be leaving for a trip to LA. As I was packing, I knew eating healthy may be a bit difficult, but then I thought, it does not have to be this way. In fact I can bring along some perfectly healthy things to eat. So, I comprised a list of packing healthy foods for a trip. I hope this helps you for your next trip! Breakfast, I've said it before and I'll say it again, is the most important meal of the day. DO NOT SKIMP OUT ON BREAKFAST!! At the same time, don't go for the all you can eat sausage and eggs buffet either. Pack yourself some packets of plain instant oatmeal. If you must go for something a little sweeter, buy Kashi instant oatmeal. You can easily make this in your hotel room! Always keep healthy, dry snacks in your bag. You may not know when the next time you will eat and instead of waiting until you are starving and eat a whole cow, carry healthy, dry snacks to tame your appetite. I love carrying my own trail mix: 1/4c of mini dark chocolate chips, 1/4c of raw almonds, 1/4c of sunflower seeds. Portion this out into four snack baggies and bring along! Another great snack to bring along is granola bars. Try to pick minimally processed granola bars which are low in sugar and high in fiber. I love Cliff and Kashi bars. Buy a couple of small, individual tuna cans, or tuna pouches that you can easily open. This may sound fishy (haha), but if you are running really late and don't have time for lunch, grab a can and you'll have a filling protein pick me up! When you get to your destination, see if you find a convenience store. If so, buy some whole grain bread, a small jar of peanut butter and all natural fruit jam. PB&J sandwiches are healthy for a breakfast or lunch! Make half a sandwich for a quick snack later on. Better yet, instead of buying plane food, make your self a couple of sandwiches and bring this along! Remember always grab an apple and keep in your bag for a quick snack. When eating out, stay away from simple carbs and get lots of fruits, veggies, lean protein and complex carbs. If you guys have any tips for eating healthy while on the road, please do share :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment