Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shape Up in 2011: Breakfasts

Good Morning Everyone,
So, we've all heard the saying before -'breakfast is the most important meal of the day'. This is sooo true. Breakfast literally means to break your fast and it's important to know that the first thing you put in your body after fasting should be nutritious and of course delicious. Studies have shown if you eat a filling, nutritious breakfast, you are less likely to binge through out the day. A filling breakfasts calms the hunger hormone ghrelin and keeps you satiated for a longer period of time.
It's best to make sure your breakfast is loaded with fiber and antioxidants. Here's a few of my favorite breakfasts, which are high in fiber, delicious and very easy to make, even if your on the go!
Oatmeal:
The possibilities are endless here. Keep your base as plain, unsweetened oats. You can even use the instant kind. To keep your oatmeal creamy, use unsweetened almond milk. My favorite oatmeal combo is oats mixed with cinnamon and raisins.
You can mix in any type of fruit or nuts. For example, chopped apple, with chopped almonds and cinnamon is delicious. Like I said, go ahead and buy the plain, instant oatmeal and add the mix ins!
Cereal:
Top cereal off with berries or a banana. Go for cereals that have at least 3 grams of fiber. Add some fruit and you could have a great 5 grams of fiber for breakfast! One of my most favorite combos for cereal is: cereal, peanut butter (1 tsp.) and chopped bananas. These days my cereal of choice is Cheerios (plain). Kashi also makes great tasting, fiber filled cereals.
Yogurt:
OK, so you can't go wrong with non fat Greek yogurt, topped with fresh berries and drizzled with honey! Not only do you get your fiber from the fruit, but you also get a great protein punch from the Greek yogurt! Just make sure you don't use too much honey. You can also mix in dry cereal for a crunchy, textured yogurt!
English Muffins:
If you are going to have an English Muffin in the morning, make sure it is made from 100% Whole Wheat flour or sprouted grains. My favorite English Muffin is by Ezekiel's. I love smearing a teaspoon or two of peanut butter and topping with sliced banana. Such a great fiber and protein filled breakfast.
I hope I was able to give you guys some quick and healthy breakfast options that you'll try. What did you have for breakfast today?
image: thedailygreen.com

3 comments:

  1. I had rava-idly, coconut/pudina chutney and a glass of loki juice with lemon!
    I realized that to go raw and healthy doesn't mean I have to compromise on taste. I have also been trying to have atleast a glass of tomato juice everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, can you post on how to make sweet yogurt at home (with fruits)? I get yogurt made but just the regular plain one. I'd love to eat the type you describe above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your breakfast sounds amazing!!! I'll be posting recipes for fruit flavored yogurts :-)

    ReplyDelete