Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My new favorite breakfast obsession...

I came across my new favorite breakfast by accident, while wondering the aisles of the supermarket looking for some decent yogurt -more on this in a later post! This is when I encountered Kozy Shack's Ready Grains line. Now, I rmemeber Kozy Shack from back in the day when I had their puddings. One of the great things about Kozy Shack is they don't use a lot of artifical ingredients. Going back to their Ready Grains line, I noticed this was not a yogurt, pudding or oatmeal. It seemed to be a combination of pudding and yogurt. I picked up the Maple and Brown Sugar flavor and thought for 180 calories, 2 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber, this was worth a shot!
The ingredients are as follows: low fat milk, water, rolled oats, sugar, inulin, eggs, brown rice, barely, oats, brown sugar, modified corn starch, natural flavors, citric acid, carrageenan. Again, not too bad for soemthing bought in a store. So, I bought this and brought it home. When I started craving a filling snack I popped it open. At first, the top is set, almost jello like. I gave it a quick stir and it quickly transformed into the consisteny of creamy rice pudding. One bite and I was hooked on the lightly sweet maple flavor. I fell in love with this!!
As I was eating this, the side of the container said this would be great even warmed! Seriously, maplEy-brown-sugar-pudding-like warmth....what more could you ask for on a called winter morning!!! I decided to up this a notch and make a packet of plain, instant oatmeal and mix it in with the Ready Grains. The result: A bigger bowl of MAPLEY-BROWN-SUGAR-PUDDING-LIKE-WARMTH!!!! All of 280 calories, 4 grams of fat, 10 grams of fiber!! The Ready Grains also come in the following flavors: Maple and Brown Sugar, Apple and Cinnamon, Strawberry and Original. I was trying to find the Original, as I'm not too into the fruit flavors, but couldn't :-( Once again, here are the stats for the Maple and Brown Sugar: Calories: 180 Fat: 2g Fiber: 7g Protein: 8g Here are the stats with one packet of McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal, prepared with water, mixed in: Calories: 280 Fat: 4g Fiber: 10g Protein: 12g Have you guys tried Ready Grains? If so, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I actually make my own breakfast which sounds similar...I take some cooked brown rice, non-dairy lightly sweetened milk of choice, cinnamon, and chopped banana...mix it up, zap in the microwave until warm, and it is SO SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find Ready Grains? I haven't seen it since 2009. I thought it was discontinued for sure. Is it still available in your area?

    ReplyDelete