Thursday, September 5, 2013

Recipe Alert: Pumpkin Cake...

The official day of Fall is September 22nd but as soon as Labor Day is over I get pumpkin fever. I LOVE pumpkin anything.  Pumpkin coffee, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake...I love it all. I love it even more when it's healthy :-) The calories for a few of the pumpkin desserts mentioned can be high. They can also be loaded with tons of preservatives. 

As I was experimenting in the kitchen, I came up with a delicious recipe for a pumpkin cake. I love having this in the morning because it's not too sweet. It also has minimal ingredients. I also feel like each serving is perfectly portioned with 2TB of almond butter for plant fats, 1 egg for protein and when topped with fruit, you have a good portion of produce packed in there!


Try this recipe out for a healthy breakfast treat. 

Pumpkin Cake
Ingredients:
1c pumpkin purée
1/2c almond butter
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp baking soda
1TB pumpkin pie spice

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients to a uniform batter. Grease or use a non stick spray to spray an 8x8 dish. Pour batter. Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Servings: 4

***Note:  I did not use any sweetener in this recipe and found this to be delicious. If you would like a sweet version add 1/4c honey or agave to the batter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment