Thursday, September 27, 2012

Last Night's Dinner: Curried Apple Squash Soup

Last night was pretty relaxing. After coming home from work, showering, taking my contacts off and putting my glasses on I set out for the kitchen to make some soup! I wanted to make soup because it was a little chilly last night. Also, I'm trying to make more of an effort to get more fiber in and eat more veggies.

Of course, first I had to get my Bollywood on and streamed music from Pandora while cooking :-) I wanted to keep dinner light and easy. I had an acorn squash from my CSA that I wanted to use. I decided to make a pot of Curried Apple Squash Soup. This soup was delicious and filling and of course...very easy! Here are the deets:

Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
1TB crushed garlic
1 acorn squash, quartered
2 apples, quartered
Quart of vegetable stock
Curry powder ( I used Madras Curry powder)
Olive oil
Pepper

Preparation:
Toss the acorn squash with a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle thyme on top. Bake for 45 minutes at 475 in the oven. In the mean time, sauté the onion and garlic in a pot with a little olive oil. Sauté for 10 minutes then add a tablespoon of curry powder. Sauté for another couple of minutes. Add about a cup of stock to the pot and stir on low heat. Once the squash is cooked place in a blender to purée. Add a little bit of stock to get things moving along. Pour the purée in the pot and stir. Next purée the apples, add a little bit of stock to get things moving. Pour the purée in the pot. Pour remaining stock in the pot. Continue to let this simmer for another twenty minutes, stirring every so often. Check seasonings. Add more curry or black pepper to taste.

Enjoy this soup hot with some crusty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment